We like to share product recommendations with you and hope you like them! Just to make you aware Kitchen Gadgets Maven may collect a small share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
A cup of coffee in the morning is now a ritual for hundreds of millions of people in the world, with an estimated 450 million cups of coffee being consumed a day in the United States alone. Although you can spend a fortune on buying your coffee from some of the giant coffee outlets such as Starbucks, Dunkin’ and Costa Coffee, you will save a lot more money by buying a high quality coffee machine for your home where you can make your ideal coffee whenever you need it.
It all sounds good until you start looking around for a coffee machine and you realize that there are thousands of companies and models to choose from which can be quite a daunting and time consuming task. Keurig is an American company that is a leading designer and manufacturer of commercial and residential coffee machines with right now many of the world’s top coffee machines being created by this company.
In this detailed review we will be individually reviewing the Keurig coffee machine models K475, the K575, the K425 and the K525. We hope that in this article we will be able to give you all the information that you are yearning for and that you need to choose the right coffee for your needs.
All of the Keurig models are very similar so there is generally little or no difference in the initial installation process of the devices apart from where the start buttons may be for example. Below we are going to feature a short guide on how to install the Keurig model K475, K575, K425 and K525. Furthermore for every single model there is a detailed setup guide as well as how to clean and use each model when you buy the products which will ensure that any small differences between the models will not cause any problems.
General Installation Guide
- The first step will be to unpack your coffee maker unit, put all the parts together and then plug in the cord into a power outlet.
- After that you will need to press the power button that is located below the touch screen user interface. As long as the machine is plugged into a working power outlet and the machine is not faulty then you should hear a high pitched sound and then you will see the touch screen interface turn on with various options.
- Next you need to remove the ‘shipping disk’ which is a dummy coffee capsule used to protect the inside of the coffee machine by providing extra stability inside so it does not break.
- The fourth step is to put in the water reservoir, fill it up with water and double click the start button which will start to boil the water for a couple of minutes and make sure that the reservoir is disinfected.
It is also recommended that once you have completed the installation process that you start the 12 minute self cleansing process so that the machine can be cleaned from the inside and out before you pop in your first coffee capsule and start to use the machine, this is not a necessary step however it is highly recommended that you do it.
All of the four Keurig designs that we are reviewing in this article share the same basic design that consists of a tall, slim design where the water reservoir is positioned at the back. While the menu is placed at the front of a curved screen with the start button being placed below this touch screen menu.
The Keurig K475, K575, K425 and K525 coffee machines all come in a variety of neutral colors such as different shades of black, brown and gray. Other more vibrant colors such as red are available although they are much harder to find and are not available for all four models that we are reviewing, for example only the K475 model has the option of a red design.
Some people may want a wider array of more vibrant colors, however the reason why the majority of design colors are neutral is so they blend in well with the majority of design choices and environment that they will be placed in.
Despite all of the models being from the same ‘K’ product line and to the naked eye they look very similar there are actually a lot of differences between them and below we will list the features of each of the four models.
- Cup Pods allow for drink sizes of 4,6,8,10 and 12 ounces in size.
- Mug Pods allow for drink sizes of 12,14 and 16 ounces in size.
- Carafe Pods allow for drink sizes of 22, 26 and 30 ounces in size.
- Five temperature settings allowing you to create your ideal type of coffee beverage.
- Weighs just 14.1 lbs or 6.4 kilograms.
- Can be programmed to save ‘macros’ which allow you to do common commands at the touch of a button.
- Auto On/Off feature allows you to save money on electricity.
- 2.4 inch LCD touch screen is featured.
- Digital clock allowing you to keep track of time with ease.
- Includes 6 coffee pods, one water reservoir and two water reservoir filters.
- 80 ounce water reservoir allowing you to spend less time filling up the tank with water.
- ‘Coffee Strength Control’ feature allowing you to customize the strength of the coffee that you make.
- Touchscreen control panel that comes with an improved design allowing for easier use.Digital Clock.
- Can be programmed allowing you to for example make the coffee machine turn on by itself every morning before you go in the kitchen.
- Removable drip tray that allows for much faster and easier cleaning of the machine.
- Energy Saving Mode allowing you to use less electricity when using the machine.
- Built in water filter in the machine that ensures for an increased amount of healthy and safety.
- Five different temperature settings.
- Hot water on demand feature.
- Auto On/Off feature
- A 2.4 inch color touch display.Settings for 11 different drink sizes.
- Different strength settings allowing you to make the coffee to your liking.Comes with a serving size selector.
- Removable water reservoir.Weighs just 5 lbs or 2.3 kilograms.
- Temperature control settings.
- Water reservoir can hold 70 ounces.
- Can be used to make tea and hot chocolate according to the manufacturer.
- Easy maintenance thanks to removable parts that allow for quick replacement and cleaning.
- High Altitude SettingsAn 80 ounce water reservoir allowing you to have up to 10 cups of coffee with a single refill.
- 2.8 inch touch screen display allowing for a more comfortable use thanks to a much bigger screen.
- 10 brewing sizes to choose from.
- An Auto On/Off featureDigital ClockCan be programmedNight light for making coffee late in the day.
- Energy Saver Mode
- Hot water on demand feature.
Additionally all of these models can be used with generic store bought pods so you do not have to buy the official Keurig pods like you do with the Nescafe coffee machines for example which will save you a lot of money in the long term. Some major coffee brands such as Starbucks and Costa Coffee have released their very own coffee pods for machines with identical ports to the Keurig coffee makers.
All of these machines are fairly similar in features and performance although the newer K500 editions come with a few extra perks and improvements. However, even those little differences can be deal breakers as coffee makers are there to make life easier for people by allowing to brew an amazing cup of coffee in just a few minutes.
Keurig K425 vs K475
Keurig K425 is a popular model that has many happy customers who have been using the product for many years now, compared to the newer K475 which is very similar in terms of looks however there are a few differences.
The Keurig K475 has an improved user interface for its touch screen which features a better menu layout as well as more colors allowing for you to find and select what you are looking for compared to when you are using the K425.
Furthermore the K475 is a much more powerful machine compared to the K425, this can be seen in the fact that the K475 weighs 14.1 lbs compared to the K425 which weighs just 5 lbs.
Keurig K425 vs K525
The difference between these two models is even more dramatic, with the K525 being a next generation model. The first big difference is that with Keurig K525 you are able to hold 80 ounces of water in the reservoir compared to just 70 ounces in the K425. This is a major difference as it allows you to brew more cups of coffee without having to change the reservoir as often.
Additionally, the touch screen display on the K525 is 2.8 inches compared to 2.4 inches on the K425 which allows you to use the coffee maker much more quickly and efficiently. It is also great for elderly people who may have trouble seeing the smaller 2.4 inch screen.
Also, the K525 comes with an advanced feature called the ‘High Altitude Setting’ which is specifically created for people that live in high altitude regions, the way this feature works is that the temperature that the coffee is brewed at is reduced to allow for the coffee to be brewed properly. Below we have featured an official video by Keurig about the topic of high altitude.
Keurig K525 vs K575
These two coffee machines share a lot of traits as they are both in the same product line generation, one major difference however is that the K575 comes a full color screen that makes it less burdensome to use in virtually all situations.
Not to mention that the K575 comes with a built-in water filter that is used on top of the disposable water filters that come when you buy one of the Keurig coffee machines. This is a big plus as you get an extra level of filtration that you do not have to spend money on replacing every couple of months like you do with the disposable filters.
What’s more is that the K575 comes with a much more customizability options allowing you to personalise your cup of coffee even more by selection your ideal brewing settings as well as the strength of your coffee for example.
Keurig K475 vs K575
Compared to the Keurig K475, the K575 has a water reservoir of 80 ounces compared to the 70 ounces reservoir of the K475 which makes the K475 less time efficient as you have to refill it much more often.
Also the K575 provides hot water on demand white the K475 requires you to insert a coffee pod inside of it, this means that the K475 cannot be used to make beverages that cannot be made with a ‘drink pod’ such as tea and hot chocolate.
Besides this, the K575 is less noisy than the K475 when making coffee which is great as you no longer have to worry about making too much noise and waking up everyone in the mornings and at nighttime.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- A sturdy build that ensures that you get your money’s worth as it will not break very easily.
- Temperature control settings giving you more choice over how your coffee is made.
- Auto On/Off feature allows you to save money as you don’t use on average as much electricity and it also reduces the risk of this appliance becoming a fire hazard.
- Does not come with its very own night light which can be a problem if you are trying to use it at night and have no other light source.
- Has a night light allowing for increased usability in a more diverse types of environments.
- A high altitude setting that guarantees a great cup of coffee no matter where you live.
- Higher quality user interface that features more vibrant colors that help with navigation.
- Does not come with a Keurig Carafe as part of the purchase so you will need to buy this part separately if you want to make coffee in larger quantities at once.
- One minute brew times so now you can make yourself a great cup of coffee even when in a hurry.
- Strength control allowing you to control both how your coffee tastes and how much energy you get from it.
- Much cheaper than the newer models out there while still doing essentially the same job.
- Noisier on average than the Keurig successor coffee machines.
- A 2.8 inch touch screen that provides larger than average space for you to navigate without any problems.
- 80 ounce water reservoir that also comes with an in-built water filter.
- Very easy to clean thanks to removable parts.
- More expensive than the K400 generation coffee machines.
Keurig is according to the latest statistics, the third largest beverage company in the United States with the company being praised for their top quality customer service. Therefore you should have no worries when purchasing Keurig products online or in-store as you will be covered by their buyer warranty where you are able to either get a replacement or a full-refund if not happy as long as your situation meets the pre-agreed terms and conditions.
You need to note that this warranty only applies to brand new Keurig products with second hand products not being covered by any warranties. But even if you buy second hand products you can still get in touch with their support and ask them any queries that you may have as well as order any replacement parts.
What Is the Difference Between Keurig K575 and K475?
The main difference between the Keurig K575 and the K475 is that despite looking fairly similar they are from two different product lines with the K575 being from the newer product line that comes with major improvements and new features.
Although the K575 is overall better, if you are looking to save some money then it is recommended that you go for the K475 instead as it is a very similar product and is much cheaper even when brand new.
Which Keurig Is Best?
This question is not possible to properly answer as there are different definitions of ‘best’ that consumers will generally have, if you are talking about in terms of features then it is recommended that you go with a product from the K500 product line such as the K575 or the K525 however if you are looking for best value for then the K475 or the K425 may be the best options for you.
Does the Keurig K475 Come with a Carafe?
No the Keurig K475 does not come a carafe, instead it has the in-built capability to use a carafe however you need to make sure to buy it separately from a reputable seller such as Keurig.
How Do You Use the Keurig K575?
Using the Keurig K575 may seem daunting at first but it is fairly straightforward, once you have completed the installation process that we go into further detail at the beginning of this article your next step is to double press the start button and your coffee maker will start brewing coffee as long as you have remembered to add water and insert a coffee pod.
If you ever do get stuck then you can always refer to the paper manual that should come with the product or you can search for a solution online either on Youtube or for third-party websites on Google.
To conclude, you cannot go wrong with a coffee maker from Keurig who are the leading the leading manufacturer of such machines in the world. Although the K475, K575, K425 and the K525 are all comparable to each other both aesthetically and in terms of their main features they are a few differences between them.
The K475 and K425 models lack a few features that the K575 and K525 models have:
- Night lights
- Larger 2.8 inch touch screens
- Noise reduction technology
Overall if you are not too bothered about some of those extra features that we mentioned above and want to get a bargain then the K475 and K425 models are a good option for you. However, if you want the best of the best then the K525 and particularly the K575 are outstanding options.